Oysters are the forever king of the seafood world. The elegant flavor of oysters will never go out of style. That is why we have so many oyster and seafood festivals around the world celebrating the immortal love of this shelled delicacy. Whitianga Oceans Festival, which was formerly known as the Whitianga Scallop Festival is one such fabulous celebration of oysters and other seafood of New Zealand. The scenic backdrop of Whitianga Harbour, live music, and cookery by celebrity chefs and seasoned local community will definitely leave you an unforgettable memory.
Whitianga Scallop Festival Inc. organize the event for the sixteenth time this year paying respect to the marine heritage of the country while their scallop beds are in the process of resting and recovering. Currently, there is a no harvest period continuing in the scallop beds in the Opito Bay area, and elsewhere in New Zealand. The local and national sustainability of scallops is a principle respected by Whitianga Scallop Festival Inc. Ensuring the recovery and regrowth of scallop beds, the festival organizers have decided to offer a range of seafood from New Zealand waters this year.
The event is all about food with hundreds of seafood dishes being cooked by popular chefs, the local community, and food trucks. So make time to hit the Whitianga Oceans Festival this September as all you got to do at the festival is grabbing a local or New Zealand beverage and let the live bands, buskers, seafood cooking classes entertain you.
Here is all you should know about the Whitianga Oceans Festival.
Saturday, 18th of September 2021
From 10 am to 5 pm
Dundas St, Whitianga
General Admission (Adults) – $50
(Participants over 18 are considered as adults)
No adult tickets are available at the gate and must be purchased online from https://oceansfestival.co.nz
All children and youth tickets should be bought from the gate by cash or EFTPOS. The prices for non-adult tickets are as follows:
0 – 5 years = free
6 – 10 years = $10
11 – 17 years = $20
- Please consider that ticketing fees are applied for all tickets purchased.
- All children and youth tickets are sold to participants who are only accompanied by an adult. Adults must take full responsibility for the children they are accompanying. Please remember that the Whitianga Oceans Festival is organized aiming at participants over 18.
- Much of the venue has a grass surface. There is full access for participants in wheelchairs to all areas of the festival premises and washrooms.
- No pets are allowed on the festival grounds unless they are guide dogs.
- You are welcome to bring your portable deck chairs, umbrellas, handbags, and backpacks. But no food and drink from outside, cooler bags, or dangerous items are allowed inside the festival premises.
Live music will be provided by two famous bands and few other beloved artists like Sean O’Hooligan, TJ. Looper King, Josh POW, and Nick Ririnui
- Automatic 80s
AutoMatic 80s is New Zealand’s leading live 80s band. They promise you a nostalgic journey to the exciting musical era of the 80s with songs from bands like Human League, Simple Minds, Duran Duran, Blondie, and Culture Club to artists like Kate Bush and Robert Palmer.
- Vegas Brown
Vegas has been a gold-selling recording artist and a veteran entertainer for 30 years. This talented singer and his band were a part of the story of the Oceans festival from the beginning.
Master Chef Judge and food writer Ray McVinnie, Food and cooking enthusiast Nici Wikes, founder of Good from Scratch brand Michael van de Elzen will be there to share their love for food and cookery with you.